I love a hot breakfast on chilly mornings...which is pretty much year round in San Francisco. It’s cozy and comforting and gives me the needed inspiration to wrest myself from the dreamy warmth of my lovely bed.
I’ve been a fan of steel cut oats for awhile but was looking to change it up a bit and found a recipe for a paleo hot porridge that I’ve continued to riff on. Low carb and high protein — it keeps me feeling full, gives me great energy, and is so easy to pull together. The consistency reminds me a bit of the cream of wheat I ate as a child.
Here’s what you need for one serving:
2 tbs coconut flour
2 tbs flaxseed meal
1 scoop collagen peptides (I use @vitalproteins
1 tsp maca powder
3/4 c water
1 tbs coconut or almond milk
- Whisk the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, collagen, maca powder, and water in a small pan over medium heat until well combined and bubbling.
- Whisk an egg in a separate bowl.
- Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the egg, whisking continually to combine it.
- Place the pan back on the heat and stir allowing it to cook and thicken slightly.
- Stir in the almond milk.
- Serve with any number of toppings. I love adding walnuts, currants, hempseed hearts, cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup and a bit more almond milk.